Thursday 29 December 2011

As expected I haven't had time to post for a few days due to the Christmas rush and all the family duties it entails. I've also been somewhat restricted barefoot wise due to a combination of not getting out much and when I have, having to aquiesce to my wife's demands that I at least wear flip flops as she says she is embarrassed to walk with me when I'm barefoot outside. I don't ever see this changing and it's simply something I have to live with.

So my rare barefoot outings have been largely opportunistic. Last night was a case in point as I took the opportunity to walk to the pub to watch the football and was barefoot all the way there and back. I also managed 30 minutes along the sea front this afternoon but I'll be glad when the new year celebratons are over and we can all get back to normal as that will allow me more barefoot time outdoors.

Having said that, this Saturday I'm hoping to go to Arundel on the south coast to watch a match and I'll be barefoot for most if not all the day. My main problem is still the discomfort of walking on certain surfaces. Paved streets are easy to walk on but where I live they are very few in number. The pavements seem to predominantly consist of two different materials, the first of which is grey asphalt concrete.

 
When fairly new this is ok to walk on. But over time it becomes uneven and jagged and I've found it very difficult to walk on with any degree of comfort in many places.

The other pavement surface that predominates in Clacton is polished aggregate.





I don't know how long ago the pavements were last laid in Clacton but in many places the small stones stick up and out from the asphalt binder making it very difficult to walk on. I'm hoping that in time my feet will toughen up enough to make it as easy for me to walk on these surfaces as it is for me to walk on our carpets at home. Maybe someone with barefoot experience can advise me of the likelihood of this happening?



No comments:

Post a Comment