Wednesday 14 December 2011

I woke up this morning determined to have a walk. So after doing a few things at home I decided I'd walk to the post office to post my Dad's Christmas present. As I've already mentioned, some of the surfaces on which we have to walk in Clacton are cracked, broken and sharp. And I was also wary of doing any more damage to my foot. So for most of the journey to the post office I wore my flip flops.

One look at the queue inside the post office persuaded me to cross the road and head towards the cach point machine as I needed some money. Once across the road I walked along to the supermarket and then took off my flip flops as the surface here is easy to walk on.

After visiting the cash point I made the decision to try to get home barefoot despite the sharp surfaces. I made it to the post office, posted my parcel and then slowly walked home. In trainers it would take me no more than 5 or 6 minutes to walk back from the shops. Today it must have taken 15!

But I did it and the only side affects are an ache in my calves and of course the soreness in my foot. I'm fairly sure that my calves ache because they're used to having heel support from my trainers and walking barefoot stretches them further than they are used to. One major bonus is that I'm so far suffering no soreness on the soles of my feet. I really expected some discomfort but have been pleasantly surprised.

I've got a busy day tomorrow so may not have time for a walk. I'll be very disappointed if I don't get out for at least 10 minutes but I'll have to see how it goes.

Here's a picture of part of Clacton-on-Sea town centre, obviously taken during the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment